There are many herbal teas that you can use to aid digestion. I prefer ginger as the best all round cold, sore throat, cough and aid to digestion remedy but here are a few more alternatives. Make an infusion of the following herbs:
28g caraway seeds
Use one teaspoon of the mixture per 1 cup of hot water. Steep for ten minutes and strain.
Other herbs that are listed as good for the stomach are:
Anise, echinacea , raspberry leaves, dong quai, catnip (or catmint), lemon balm, fennel seeds, marshmallow, calendula, spearmint as well as peppermint is often used to aid digestion. Not herbal, but shu pu erh is also said to be helpful after eating greasy food. Jasmine tea is supposed to be good for digestion as well.
If you experience acid reflux, you may want to avoid peppermint as they say this tends to numb the muscle that prevents reflux from occurring. For some people who have experience on this matter, eliminate the peppermint totally from their diet so, sometimes it is the tea that you don’t drink that will aid digestion as well.
I have had one comment from a person with intense IBS who usually drinks a mix of fennel seeds and peppermint to help with the indigestion and bloating. Add 2 parts fennel into a mortar and pestle, crack the seeds and then add 1 part peppermint. Yet other people have had great success with Yogi brand Egyption Licorice tea. It contains a variety of herbs and they claim it settles their indigestion very well.
Burdock root (Arctium lappa L.) or gobo in Japanese is eaten in Japan as kinpira gobo, which is saute burdock root with carrots. The root can also be added to soups and even a tea is made from the root. As a mildly bitter-tasting herb, it increases saliva and bile secretion, which also aids digestion and cleanses the liver.
One very important point to remember is that when you are using herbs, some may have real medicinal properties and are not recommended for constant use and it is better off to see a qualified medical practitioner.
As usual please let us know what you use for your digestion issues in the comments below and your suggestion maybe featured next!
Purchase on Amazon:
- [amazon_link id="B000SARK0A" target="_blank" ]Davidson’s Tea Bulk, Herb Pure Org Chamomile, 16-Ounce Bag[/amazon_link]
- [amazon_link id="B001VNGNEM" target="_blank" ]Frontier Chamomile Flowers, German Whole (double Cleaned), 16 Ounce Bag[/amazon_link]
- [amazon_link id="B0009F3PP8" target="_blank" ]Traditional Medicinals Organic Raspberry Leaf Herbal Tea, 16-Count Wrapped Tea Bags (Pack of 6)[/amazon_link]
- [amazon_link id="B00078N976" target="_blank" ]Fennel Seeds (Whole), 1-Pound[/amazon_link]
- [amazon_link id="B0032K4R18" target="_blank" ]Marshmallow Leaf Cut&Sifted – Althea officinalis (454g = One Pound = 16.2oz)[/amazon_link]
- [amazon_link id="B00188YH8Y" target="_blank" ]Alvita Burdock Root Tea Bags 24 Tea Bags/box[/amazon_link]